Draw Near is currently accepting nonfiction submissions for a new free ebook. This publication will consist of themed short writings and poetry. Writings can consist of poems, prayers, essays, letters, or other forms under 1,000 words. Please keep in mind that Draw Near is a Christian publisher. Do not submit inappropriate writing. Everyone is welcome to submit. Only quality writings that relate to the theme will be accepted.
THEME: Laments A lament is an expression of sorrow or regret. Lament your broken heart, broken dreams, prodigal children, habitual sins, injustice in the world, abuse, death of a loved one, or whatever else you deeply feel. Please include one verse of Biblical lament that corresponds to your writing in the New International Version format. (Biblical laments can be found in Job, Psalms, Lamentations, Habakkuk, Micah, Malachi, and more.) The purpose of this publication is threefold. 1) Encourage readers to freely open their hearts to God. 2) Inform readers they are not alone in their grief. 3) Express negative emotions in a healthy way. Please end your writing on a hopeful note that God will (or has) brought you out of this dark period of your life. (Many thanks to Molly woundresser for sharing her inspiration for the theme.)
Carefully read the following guidelines before submitting.
- Email your essay, poem, or other writing to firstname.lastname@example.org. Submit in the body of the email or as an attachment (.doc, .docx, .pdf). Avoid using special fonts and formats (such as centering, italics, etc). Include the title and “by” line in the email. (A pen name is okay.)
- You may include a short biography (optional). If your work is selected, Draw Near will share your bio in a blog. The bio must be in third person and consist of no more than three sentences. One link to your personal website or social media is acceptable. (The name that appears in your “by” line should be identical to the name in your bio.)
- New or old writings will be accepted. Draw Near will accept work that you have published on the internet (on your website or a public forum). However, we are not interested in manuscripts that have already been accepted for publication by other publishers. Simultaneous submissions are accepted. Please notify us immediately if your writing is accepted elsewhere.
- You are welcome to submit multiple writings; however, it is unlikely that more than one writing will be selected.
- The deadline is December 15, 2019.
- Unfortunately, you will not be paid for your submission. Please submit only if you wish to glorify God and help others draw near to Christ. All submissions will be considered and acknowledged. However, Draw Near will only accept quality writing that adheres to these guidelines for publication.
- PLEASE READ THIS IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT RIGHTS!!! By submitting a creative work:
- you certify you are the author of the creative work.
- you agree to give the publisher rights to publish your creative work in a single publication.
- you authorize the publisher to make this publication available in print and electronic formats.
- you agree to allow the publisher to post this publication on this website and other websites designed for hosting print and electronic formats.
- you retain the copyright to your work.
- you will be credited for your creative work (either as your real or pen name).
Still interested? Send in your writing to email@example.com today! Questions can be sent by email or use the form below.