A calling from God is different than a dream because it originates with God and not our own hearts. A calling happens when Christians feel inspired by God to serve Him in some way. Unfortunately, Christians sometimes feel unsure how to answer His call. Worse yet, some feel certain there is a call and an urgency to answer—yet they are unsure what God wants them to do! It’s okay. Relax. We’ll take it step by step.
1. Prepare yourself for service. This includes studying your Bible, attending church regularly, and letting go of sin. Regularly pray for God to prepare you for service.
2. Offer yourself. Open up your schedule to allow God to use you. This may mean giving up some entertainment or cutting back work hours. Regularly request an anointing on yourself to serve God.
3. Be flexible. You may have several callings instead of one single calling. Every time you hear the Lord asking you to do something (no matter how small), respond in obedience. Obey every small command as if it was your calling. Luke 16:10 states, “Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much.”
4. Seek your calling. Whether you feel unsure or completely confident, seek your calling with action. Begin by taking opportunities that are offered to you. You may feel in your spirit a sense of fulfillment and exclaim, “This is it!” Alternately, you may still feel that probing feeling that you need to answer your call and this is not it!
5. Practice. If God is calling you to be a missionary overseas, practice telling your coworkers and friends about God. If God is calling you to do something that requires skill, then practice doing it over and over again to improve your skill level. Practicing may require you to reach out to other Christians for training, advice, and prayer.
In God’s timing, He will reveal what He wants you to do and open up the opportunity for you to do it. I pray you will hear God’s voice clearly, obey His voice, and fulfill your calling with the valor of a saint. Consider praying this prayer with me right now: “God, Thank You for calling me to service. I offer my body as an instrument for Your purposes. Make known to me Your desires so that I may answer my call. I praise You for all of Your wonderful ways. In Christ’s Name, Amen.”
If you are not a Christian, consider praying this prayer with me right now: “God, I accept Jesus as my Savior. I believe Jesus is the Son of God. I believe He died on the cross and rose from the dead. I believe His death is the sacrifice that paid for my sins and His resurrection is a promise of eternal life. I choose to commit my life to You, Lord. Thank You for my salvation. In Christ’s Name, Amen.”
©2015 Kim Bond
*Kim Bond writes and edits Christian literature for Draw Near Christian ministry. Click FREE EBOOKS to read more.