You, Believer, are a pure white vinyl fence,
Crowned with ornate posts secured in concrete,
Against sin, you have premium resistance,
Yet you are single and feel incomplete.
If you take an unbeliever as your spouse,
Your fence will be finished in wood with gaping holes,
Every kind of sin will rush into your house,
Your lover will delight in being exposed.
You will scream and rage about the ambush,
The sin that rushed in, and the pain it evoked,
Haven’t you read the warning in God’s book?
With unbelievers, do not be unequally yoked.
If you haven’t already made this mistake,
Prefer to spend your time among God’s people,
God will send you someone — please patiently wait,
Then you will be a superior fence with no equal.
“Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?” —2Corinthians 6:14
It is right to spend some time showering God’s love on non-Christians, but our close relationships (tight friendships and love interests) should be with Christians who are equally devoted to God as we are. Which friends in your life should you spend more time with?
“I’m just not happy anymore.” This is a common complaint from a spouse who wants to divorce. If you are working and praying for reconciliation, stop looking to your spouse as a source of joy. Joy is a fruit of the Spirit and should not find its source in your spouse.
In Acts 16, we read how Paul was beaten and jailed. In jail, he sang praises to God! How is that possible? Paul’s joy was not dependent on his circumstance but found in his relationship with Christ. Do you have a joy that comes from your relationship with Christ? Do you praise God at all times?
I hope that you will pursue the joy that comes from Christ by remaining in the true vine. Additionally, I hope that confidence and trust in Christ awakens an interest in new experiences that will contribute to your quality of life.
Take up a new hobby, pursue your passion, play on a sports league, and work toward your dream with small goals. Be sure to invite your spouse to be a part of your experiences as your life transforms into a healthy expression of the joy that can be found in Christ.
Intimacy is another major complaint from those interested in divorce. Nothing is happening in the bedroom or you are stuck in a rut or your chemistry just dissolved. There is hope!
Read the following 18 ways to increase intimacy between you and your spouse:
- New self-control – If you are currently viewing pornography, you are KILLING your sex life. You’ll be amazed how intimacy improves when you STOP viewing pornography.
- New faithfulness – Cut strong ties between people of the opposite sex that you are attracted to. You can improve your intimacy with your spouse by removing emotional attachments to others.
- New thoughts – Concentrate on something new when you are alone with your spouse. Focus on your love for your spouse, envision blooming flowers, live in the moment.
- New initiation – The minutes that lead up to intimacy are important. Change your approach.
- New ways to energize – Intimacy requires energy. Rest up and help your spouse with tasks so he or she feels energetic also.
- New compliments – Instill confidence in your spouse and he/she will feel like a tiger instead of a mouse.
- New perfume or aftershave – Scent affects mood. Set the mood for intimacy.
- New clothes – Attract your spouse by wearing attractive clothes instead of wearing what is comfortable.
- New underclothes – Replace things with holes. Buy underclothes that are pleasing to the eye.
- New sheets – Get some soft sheets that announce your intentions to be intimate.
- New bed – Mentally break your rut by replacing the old squeaky bed.
- New place – Rent a hotel room for a getaway vacation in your own town.
- New hairdo or hair color – Make yourself feel new with a change.
- New makeup or facial hair – Try different things to see what you and your spouse agree enhances your features.
- New exercise routine – Exercise contributes to a happy mood, builds confidence, and increases stamina. Consider taking a multivitamin.
- New music – Set the mood for love with romantic music.
- New candles – Make your spouse feel special by going the extra mile.
- New date – Date your spouse with creativity.
You will be shocked at how effective these methods are at revving up your intimacy! A little effort makes a big impact when you pray for a strong relationship with your spouse and embrace love and faithfulness.
Dear Lord, I pray marriages on the brink of disaster would be renewed in a supernatural way. Heal our love and show us love never fails. Thank You for answering our prayers. In Christ’s Name, Amen.
Click here to read a poem that will encourage you in your reconciliation.
© 2015 Kim Bond
Draw Near exists to glorify God and help others draw near to Christ by providing free resources. Click here to learn more about God and here to access free Christian ebooks. Thanks for visiting. Stay blessed!